“Any man may be in good spirits and good temper when he’s well dressed. There ain’t much credit in that.”
- Charles Dickens
Whilst the ladies take most of the style-glory on race day, men are upping the ante in the style stakes on race days.
Thankfully for men, dressing for the races is a little easier with fewer rules to follow. Here are some simple style tips for the well-dressed man at race day:
- Dress for the occasion – you’re not dressing for the office so add a little glamour and sophistication to race-day suiting.
- Mix it up – if a suit is your daily uniform, opt for a smart blazer pant instead.
- Shirt sense – race days are the time for men to choose shirts in bolder colours and prints.
- Accessories maketh the man. Just like the fillies, accessorising makes or breaks race-day style. Attention to detail is important. At a minimum, a good shoe, belt, and pocket square is a must, but if you want to step up your style-game add a lapel pin, tie clip, bow tie or cuff links.
- Be well groomed. A hair cut and shave is essential race-day grooming. For those men with beards, manscaping is also essential.
- Well matched – co-ordinate an element from your partner’s outfit, e.g. colour in your tie or pocket square.
- Finishing touch – for some men, a hat is style-du-jour on race-day. A trilby or fedora perfect race-day styles.
SPRING RACING SUITING
Raise your style stakes for Spring racing with the latest fashion trends.
To make a statement trackside, a bold check in a modern constrasting colour makes a statement.
A contrasting blazer and pant is a major summer trend. Elevate the look to formal with a luxurious slim-fit dress pant and smart pair or shoes.
Light-weight suits are perfect for the Aussie heat. Choose from cool shades of pale blue, beige and soft grey.
We see a return of the slim line suit this summer. A well-cut slim line suit makes an elegant and modern statement. For men with larger frames the slim line suit is not the best option, choose a classic style instead.
‘Culottes’ a simple word but which often strikes fear into the hearts of multitudes of women. But fear not. Style culottes correctly and they are a versatile and stylish option that work across the seasons.
That latest trend to hit the runways for this Spring/Summer is the culotte.
Culottes are usually described as “a split or divided skirt or any garment which hangs like a skirt, but is actually pants”. The fashion-set call them “wide-legged cropped pants” but whichever term you prefer, the culotte is a versatile and flattering option for women of all ages, shapes and sizes and a stylish choice for the many upcoming charity events listed on the CharityDos website.
Here are my style tips for how to wear and style culottes:
- NO FEAR: Approach wearing culottes like an A-line skirt and wear them that way. Easy.
- LENGTH: My most important style tip for ‘real women’ wearing a culotte is the length. The most flattering and versatile style sits on the lower calf which gives the appearance of a slimmer and longer legs.
- STYLE: Again for ‘real women’ the most flattering style of culotte is a softer, more voluminous style, like a skirt. If you’re taller and slimmer, various lengths and styles will suit.
- HEEL HEIGHT: Yes, the fashion trend for summer is flat sandals and brogues, and for the young and trendy go for it, but for ‘real women’ I recommend wearing your culotte with a mid or high-heeled shoe in softer, feminine styles such as ankle-straps or t-bars.
- BALANCE: For most women, the key to wearing a culotte is to balance the volume down below with sleeker top. A slim-fit crisp white shirt, a fitted tee, or a defined jacket is the perfect balance.
- STYLING TIPS: With the balance rule in mind, choose a style that suits your lifestyle or event. Are you going to a smart lunch? Opt for a crisper, classic style paired with a fitted jacket or cotton shirt. Attending a friend’s BBQ? A softer, more feminine version in a print or floral is perfect. Do you want to be directional and on-trend? Go for a wider-leg styled with short crop top.
Wear your culottes with confidence and attitude (like Ms Beckham) and they are a fashionable and functional option for your wardrobe all year round.