In 2015, JATL is partnering with Women’s Legal Service Queensland to take a stand against domestic violence.
It is an unfortunate reality that 1 in 6 women will experience domestic violence and that 1 woman a week is killed because of domestic violence in Australia. Domestic violence is a problem that crosses all socio-economic groups and all geographical divides.
JATL’s inaugural Social Justice Fundraising Gala will seek to raise awareness and funds to support action and advocacy against domestic violence. It will bring together approximately 300 students, professionals, and dignitaries alike for a night of drinks, canapés, and mingling in a stand-up event for this important cause. The night will also feature a keynote address from leading Australian feminist, author of the widely acclaimed Man Made Language, and chair of the Second Chance charity, Dr Dale Spender AM FRSA, as well as a silent art auction and raffle.
All profits from the event will go to the Women’s Legal Service Queensland in support of their efforts to prevent domestic violence and to help the thousands of women each year who experience domestic violence in Queensland.
Guests of Honour attending the Gala will include (with more to be announced shortly):
- The Honourable Justice Andrew Greenwood, Federal Court of Australia
- The Honourable Justice Michelle May, Family Court of Australia
- The Honourable Justice Colin Forrest, Family Court of Australia
- The Honourable Justice Debra Mullins, Supreme Court of Queensland
- John McKenna QC, Queensland Bar
- Kathryn McMillan QC, Queensland Bar
- Professor Sarah Derrington, TC Beirne School of Law
- Professor Heather Douglas, TC Beirne School of Law
When: 6pm–9pm, Friday 17 April
here: Brisbane Room at Brisbane City Hall
Dress: Professional or Cocktail