“Will Ebola be the West’s next big regret?"
"A human disaster is unfolding in West Africa. Estimates of future cases are as high as 1.4 million by January 2015 unless there is action."
Associate Professor Brian Owler - President of the Australian Medical Association
Please join us for a night to raise awareness and funds to fight the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.
Proceeds from tickets sales and donations will go to rushing critical medical supplies and equipment to Ebola affected areas.
We will be screening a new feature version of The Surgery Ship on the night.
When: Wednesday 3rd December
Where: 186a Palmer St. Darlinghurst
Filmed on location in Guinea, West Africa, now at the heart of the Ebola outbreak, The Surgery Ship is a compelling and unique glimpse into the lives three African patients as they hope for a new future. Witness a team of International and Australian medics as they face overwhelming odds to treat life-threatening medical conditions, and discover how their own lives are forever impacted by the journey.
Click to watch the trailer here: www.thesurgeryship.com
Mercy Ships, the largest civilian hospital ship in the world, addresses the critical shortage of health care services in Western Africa and has been operating in West Africa for over 20 years. Now it has partnered with MAP International to send medical supplies to help with the Ebola crisis.
• 6.30pm – Pre-screening drinks and introduction
• 7.00pm – Film screening
• 8.20pm – Q&A and panel discussion
Guests include one of the film's featured medics, Associate Professor Brian Owler - President of the Australian Medical Association, Professor Lyn Gilbert - who is currently advising the government on Ebola and Film Director/Producer Madeleine Hetherton.
We hope you can make it! - but if you can't, you can still contribute by making a donation on our ticketing page.
We would value greatly your sharing this event among your networks.
The Surgery Ship Team
For more information about the film: www.thesurgeryship.com
For more information about Mercy Ships: www.mercyships.org.au
Some of the reviews the film has garnered:
- "Heartwarming, dramatic and life altering.” - SBS Television
- "Affecting and powerful... a triumph” - Sydney Morning Herald
- “Simply the best and most important film I have seen this year.” - Lisa Defazio
- “I have never been more moved, thank you.” - Sandra Ward
- “Wow! ... so heartbreaking but simultaneously so inspirational. Well done!” Elaine Sherwood
- “Amazing show! ...Truly inspiring. As a student studying nursing, I found this show extremely moving. Hope to see lots more of the work of this amazing ship in the future.” - Kathryn Zambonetti